Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Experimental Baking: Snickerdoodles

I had planned to introduce eggs this week, but I've been waiting for some ear(ritation) to subside after a Saturday night excursion to a couple of watering holes. Apparently drinking and the elimination diet aren't a good fit.

I've only managed to sneak in 8 hours of sleep over the last 48 hours due to pressing deadlines on final papers and presentations. In the final stretch, I called a baked sweet potato (minimal kitchen effort, totally tasty) dinner and threw on a pat of butter. You hear that folks? Butter has been officially introduced.

Since all dairy is so different (i.e.... milk, yogurt, butter, goat cheese, cow cheese, sheep cheese, you get the idea...) I plan to introduce these foods one by one anyway. Some people who are sensitive to milk, can eat butter, and visa versa (Brostoff & Gamlin (2000). Food Allergies and Food Intolerances). I've heard of this in the context of the blood type diet. This website offers an index of foods and their effect: beneficial, neutral, or avoid. As if I needed to add another complicated layer to this...

Back to the snickerdoodles! I've been craving these for no apparent reason (usually I am all chocolate, all the time) and what better way to introduce sweet, delicious butter than with cookies? I dappled with the idea of using real eggs, and only making these wheat and gluten free, but I think its better to take this whole butter thing slow.

This is my plan:
  • 1 1/2 c rice flour
  • 1 c tapioca flour
  • 1 c garbanzo flour
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 2 T baking soda
  • 1/4 t sea salt
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 c real butter!
  • 2 c sugar
  • 3/4 c warm water
  • 1/4 c flax seeds
  • 1 T agave nectar
  • 1 T vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degreese F.
  2. Blend warm water and flax seeds to make flax eggs. Set aside.
  3. Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, flax eggs, agave, and then remaining ingredients.
  4. In a separate bowl, add 1/2 t cinnamon to 3 T sugar.
  5. Roll dough into walnut sized balls and dip in cinnamon and sugar. If the dough is too sticky to handle, refrigerate for one hour prior.
  6. Bake 10-12 minutes.
UPDATE: Do not attempt this at home. My predictions have failed. I blame the flax eggs. Great for cakes and muffins. Terrible for cookies. Use real eggs. Or don't eat cookies.

4 comments:

audrey& brian said...

your citing in your blog cracks me up! Keep posting and i hope everything gets introduced back without problems!

Anonymous said...

e. it did sound like a good idea.

EMH said...

Totally seemed like a good idea! I ended up putting the batter into a cake pan... then it puffed up and spilled ALL OVER the oven. I spent a good hour cleaning up that mess! And still no snickerdoodles for me....

kelsey said...

Hahaha. I was reading this post thinking "I wonder what happened... Glad for the update. Not that I was going to make this anyway. I am lucky enough to digest everything fairly well. But kudos to your bravery.