Monday, March 9, 2009

Quinoa and Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Dressing

This salad is a staple for me. The ingredients vary at times, but the quinoa, avocado, cilantro and lime are always essential ingredients in my book. It keeps well, so I usually pack it up right away to bring for lunches during the week.

Quinoa is awesome because it is the only grain which is a complete protein on its own (or, I've heard, as close as a grain can come to being a complete protein) it cooks quickly and is delicious. 

When I'm looking to add a little more protein, I add grilled temphe or black beans. 

  1. Rinse 1 cup of quinoa to rid the grain of its natural bitter coating. Boil 1.5 cups water and add rinsed quinoa. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. 
  2. Chop a small handful of cilantro, 2 green onions, and a seeded jalapeno if you have one around. Place chopped ingredients into a medium-sized bowl and cover with the juice of 2 limes, 1 t hot sauce, and 1/2 t ground cumin.
  3. Dice 1-2 sweet peppers (I like to do 1 red, 1 yellow) and an avocado. Add to mixture. If you can have corn, add 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn to this as well. 
  4. In a hot, dry skillet, lightly toast 1/4 cup pepitas.
  5. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Add salt to taste. 

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I want to eat this right now.