Monday, March 16, 2009

Veganomicon


Walking home from downtown on a very windy Saturday, I remembered I had a Barnes and Noble gift card burning a hole in my wallet. I've had my eye on Veganomicon for awhile now, and since it appears as though I am allergic to one or more of the foods I've eliminated, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. This book is bursting with them -- and I cannot wait to give it a try. The moussaka with pine nut cream looks absolutely amazing! 

I'd rather support a small, local bookstore, but I do appreciate the inquisitive nature of B&N employees . On this particular visit, the cashier to customer banter went a little like this: 
"Oh, are you vegan?"
"No, but I often eat like one." (The truth is, I love cheese too much to be vegan.)
"This book has been very popular."
"I've heard good things. I'm excited to give it a try."
"Do you know what a vitamix blender is?" (What?! Where did that come from?)
"I do... but I find that my $30 magic bullet works just as well."
Reading this in the New York Times this morning makes me thankful for my 13 years of vegetarianism. Five out of ninety samples tested positive for MRSA? That is a) disgusting and b) a serious problem. 

Despite a secret love of cheese (which I may or may not be able to eat) I also dapple in the occasional serving of fish. Since dairy and soy are absent in my elimination diet, I have been subsiding on beans, legumes, grains, nuts, fruits and veggies. Which is fine, but I was starting to feel a little low on protein, leaving me feeling famished a few hours after eating. 

I picked up some wild caught salmon, and made Cherie's West Indian Curry. I'm in the midst of final papers and have very little time for cooking (which makes the elimination diet tricky, as I have to cook almost everything I can eat) so I had the brilliant idea of throwing everything into the crockpot that we never use, so I could hit the library. I altered Cherie's recipe a bit (as I tend to do) throwing in an entire can of coconut milk, a can of tomatoes and then a half cup of lentils. I came home a couple hours later to a beautifully aromatic curry with lentils. I cooked the salmon on a bed of onions and lemon slices, and covered it in olive oil and lemon juice. I have yet to try one of Cherie's recipes and not be impressed - this one was no exception! She suggests pineapple to round out the flavors - I couldn't agree more! It really adds a noticeable depth. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww..Im glad you liked it. Nice blog dear!