Monday, March 30, 2009

Enchiladas with zucchini, black beans and corn

Yes. I said corn. I have reintroduced corn without any difficulty as far as I can tell. Still out: dairy (excluding butter), wheat and eggs. 

This is another gem I picked up while spending time in Costa Rica. The concept of what I make today was born out of one of my all-time favorite cookbooks, rebar. You should probably just buy it, because its so amazing. The deliciousness is endless. The black beans are a recent addition by Adam, who felt like it needed a little more ooomph! I agreed, and we've never gone back. I think tonight I'll throw in some black olives too, just for fun. Sounds fun, right? 

These enchiladas are casserole style, which means this takes almost no time at all to prepare. Its like a tasty enchilada lasagna. Awesome. 

If you have some time on your hands...and own the rebar...you can make their mesa red sauce. Its quite good. I've become dependent on Trader Joe's and use their enchilada sauce, yet another reason why I call this "easy"... if you don't have a Trader Joe's nearby, you can also use canned enchilada sauce, but I recommend working on it until it actually tastes good. 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a skillet saute diced onion, garlic, red bell pepper, zucchini, corn, jalapeno and 1 T each, coriander and cumin until veggies are tender, yet firm. Set aside. Mix in 1 can rinsed black beans and chopped olives.
  3. In a 9 x 13 or similar-sized oven proof pan, spoon about 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom and begin the layering process with a layer of corn tortillas. 
  4. Layer sauce, tortillas and veggies so that you have 3-4 layers, depending on the size and depth of your pan. 
  5. Top with cheese if you eat it. Omit if you don't. Bake until bubbly. 
  6. Cut into squares and top with real or fake sour cream, and avocado.
  7. Enjoy!
On a side note, the beholder is totally my new favorite blog to read. I cannot wait to try her ab routine

1 comment:

Wiggs (The Beholder) said...

I LOOOOOOVE zucchini enchiladas!!! I had my first taste last month at Topolo Bampo here in Chicago (the Obamas' favorite restaurant, btw) and they BLEW my mind! I'm excited to try these on my own.