Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Black Beans and Spinach

I'm so glad its still cold enough out there for soup to sound good. When you take away wheat, corn, soy, dairy and eggs, it seems like the easiest thing to make. This is one of my favorites. I've made it so many times this winter that Adam says, "this one again?" when I make it. Its cheap, tasty and takes minimal effort. What's not to like?

I like to use dried black beans for this because I think they add something lovely to the texture. If you don't have the time, or want to make this on the fly, canned beans are delicious as well.

  • 1 cup dried black beans 
  • 1 bunch spinach, chopped
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 T coriander
  • 1 T cumin
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1 T minced ginger
If you eat dairy or soy.... neither of which can I have this week or next....
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt added at the end
  1. Soak beans overnight. Rinse, drain and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and simmer at medium heat until tender.
  2. Saute oil, garlic and ginger and spices. Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
  3. Add beans and chopped spinach. If the beans are in quite a bit of water, you may wish to drain some off.
  4. Stir in yogurt (if you're using it) and simmer until stew thickens. 

No comments: