Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Vegan Lasagna and Pineapple (Rightside Up) (Cup)Cake(s)

Last night Emmy and I prepped the vegan lasagna recipe - with our own addition of zucchini and spinach added to the layers (who doesn't want to up their vegetable intake?!) then took Lucy for a run around greenlake. Not our best run ever, Lucy's leash skills were atrocious. Half the time she spent pulling us around the lake and the other half yanking us to her distractions on either side of the path. Embarrassing, really, but only because her lack of least etiquette is our fault. When we came home I had just enough time to make the batter for the Pineapple Rightside Up Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (we are on a quest to try all the cupcakes in this gem of a book - the recipes are fairly small, so we don't feel too guilty) while Emmy sauteed some kale and chard to have with our lasagna.

The vegan lasagna was excellent. The addition of fennel to the sauce was new to me, but gave it an interesting flavor. The tofu was perfect as a substitute for ricotta, without mimicking ricotta (which I love when I choose to eat it) or being too tofu based. We used raw zucchini and it came out perfect - just firm enough without being undercooked. I am definitely an advocate of Cherie's recipes - I've made a few and they have all come out amazing. My favorite so far has been her Vegan Indian, it was incredible. A hit with all members of our household and our dinner guest, the lovely, MegV.

The pineapple cupcakes were delicious - as everything from the book has been so far. Emmy voted the pumpkin chocolate chip the winner, while I favor the Mexican hot chocolate. Gus came home from class too late for me to get his vote, and Adam has escaped to Lopez for the week, we'll see if there are any around for him to try come Friday...

No comments: